Instead of making a hurried trip to China on last-minute flights, take the time to plan a long trip so that you can explore the monument at leisure. Here are some of the best and most interesting facts about the Great Wall of China to know before you make the trip:
1. How old is the Great Wall of China? Among the most ancient monuments in the world, the Great Wall of China is over 2700 years old!
2. How long is the Great Wall of China? This is perhaps the most frequently asked questions ever after one look the intimidating Great Wall of China map. The official Great Wall of China length is about 21,196.18 km. Unsurprisingly, it is the lengthiest ever man-made structure across the world!
3. One of the most interesting facts about the Great Wall of China is that its altitudes vary - since it is not built in a single straight line at the same ground level. The lowest point of the Great Wall is at Laolongtou (Hebei) and the highest one at Huanglouyuan (northwest Beijing suburb).
4. What is the average width and height of the Great Wall? Its width is about 21.3 feet. Its average height is from 20 to 23 feet. The highest section is 46 feet.
5. Undoubtedly the most amazing of all Great Wall of China facts is that a secret material was used in its making besides bricks, stones, wood, tamped earth, and other building material. Surprisingly, sticky rice flour was included to make the blinding or mortar for the wall because of its remarkable adhesive properties.
6. The Great Wall of China is not one single wall but a collection of several walls. It’s a vast network of walls, trenches, watchtowers, and forts built by different dynasties at different points in time.
7. Despite popular belief, the Great Wall of China IS NOT visible from space. Yes, this is just a myth. It’s among the most interesting facts about the Great Wall of China.
8. Also among the lesser-known Great Wall of China facts is that, sadly, about one-third of the wall has disappeared over time.
9. Which is the most popular or most-visited section of the Great Wall? It’s Badaling in Beijing. About 63,000,000 people visited in 2001! That’s not all. Reportedly, the numbers can go up to 70,000 in just a day during the first week of May and October. Also, it’s been visited by over 300 VIPs and global heads of states.
10. Perhaps one of the most unfortunate albeit interesting facts about the Great Wall of China is that it has been described by many as being the longest cemetery on the planet. Authors claim over a million people died building the wall during a single dynasty! Thousands of bodies were excavated under various parts of the wall by archaeologists.
11. Did you know that several convicts were involved in building the wall? Apparently, it was part of their punishment was common in those days. Other labour force included forcibly enlisted peasants, soldiers, and Prisoners of War. Isn’t it among the most interesting Great Wall of China facts!
12. Among the most interesting facts about the Great Wall of China is a widely-spread legend about it. The story is about the newly-wedded MengJiangnv whose husband was forcibly taken to work on the wall. When she went to visit him, she was told he had died of exhaustion. Her cry was so bitter that the section of the wall her husband was buried in collapsed to expose his bones.
13. Another of the most intriguing Great Wall of China facts is that it couldn’t always keep the invaders out. Despite being built to withstand attacks, the Great Wall was breached by various enemies throughout history.
How many of these amazing and interesting facts about the Great Wall of China did you know about? Well, now you know plenty! Remember these Great Wall of China facts when you book cheap flights to China for a much-anticipated visit to the historic monument. Take lots of pictures, find out other interesting facts about the Great Wall of China, and have the most amazing trip!
Built to guard the Chinese Empire against enemies toward the north, the Great Wall of China is among the most amazing historical monuments in the world. There are a bunch of awesome facts about the Great Wall of China that even those who’ve visited the monument are unaware of. So, if you’re planning a visit to this spellbinding place, sit back and read about some of the most intriguing Great Wall of China facts. Know a bit about the Great Wall before you visit and make the trip that much more amazing!
Keep reading to know more about the Great Wall of China - unbelievable secrets & unknown facts!